Thursday, January 10, 2008

Teacher Tell Me Tell Me

If there's one thing that I love most about my students, it's the fact that they definitely know how to make my day. Or BS with me without being obvious...

I told the third graders last Monday that it's the school's new policy for the students to memorize 10 new words each session. They screamed, argued, and threw tantrums in my face. No memorization. They won't do it. I held my ground firm and told them that if they refuse to do so, I won't give them any merit sign on their Bonus Sheet. That silenced them. The Bonus Sheet is like the student's holy grail.

To change the topic, R, a co-teacher's son, candidly commented that I look like one of the girls in this Korean band, Wonder Girls, who, unbeknownst to me, happens to popularize, "Tell Me", a dance craze among kids and teen-agers these days, which the children proudly informed me.

Curiosity invoked, I asked whether the girl I am being compared to is pretty or else, I swore to R that I will throw him out of the window if I find out that the girl looked like one of those ludicrous caricature like singer-dancers. The class told me that she's really an eyeful and... if I could dance like the group... they are going to memorize all the words in the dictionary.

Children never lie, right?

Fine. Deal. Whatever.

I agreed to dance for them even if it would mean breaking my bones in the process. I am a teacher of honor. Ha!

The class cheered. As they were going out of the classroom though, some of them whispered disturbing comments that made me wonder if I made the right decision.

Sonsengnim wi chincha ru choomde halsu ita? Can teacher really dance?

Na mula! Daum chu reul kidarida! I don't know. Let's wait next week! *Giggles*

You wait till I see that video, kids!

As soon as I got home, I googled the said group's MTV and found a really "bubblegum" (according to the BF) dance video of some teeners.



The dance steps are pretty easy but I am not sure I would look decent executing them. Err...

Gawd. What have I gotten myself into this time?

4 comments:

Abad said...

Good luck! kayang kaya yan. i-post mo din sa youtube ang performance mo. baka ito na ang hinihintay mong break. haha. Ang wais nga ng mga estudyante mo, may mga kundisyon pa.

The Wandering Deity said...

hahahha!!! isa ka pang pasaway. i also posted this blog in my multiply account, and some people there requested that i tape my performance. susmia, ende ko ata kayang i-career ang public humiliation.

mga pasaway nga yang mga batang yan eh. am sure pagkatapos kong magmukhang tanga sa pagsasayaw eh ende pa rin naman nila memorize ang words of the day. iisip na naman sila ng bagong gimmick. at shempre akong si uto uto eh makiki ride on.

hirap kumita ng pera dito sa Korea!

Marissa said...

So how did the performance go?

The Wandering Deity said...

I was supposed to blog about it but I felt so bad for the kids, I saved the draft.

I practiced a whole week huh but was not able to show my stuff. Korean teacher found out and chastised the kids for trying to manipulate me. The kids didn't talk to me for days. It was awful.

Sonnet to Fathers