Saturday, November 24, 2007

Poshintang

Last Friday, I was getting ready for school when my burly neighbor decided to be nice and share with me a special soup. He said it is called Poshintang. I have heard of that soup before but never had one yet. And since I am used to McDo these days, a homemade meal sounded like manna from heaven. I thanked the good samaritan of a neighbor and went to consume the soup like it's my last meal on earth.

During the 5:30 class, the topic was about healthy food. I mentioned about the Poshintang soup. The class giggled like I just told them the funniest joke on earth. They asked what it tasted like. I told them that it's a pork soup, really spicy but very very delicious. They went nuts when I said that.

Their reaction totally puzzled me so I asked what was going on. One student told me that Poshintang is dog soup.

Jeez.

Much as I want to vomit right there and then, I tried to hold my poise and told the class that I really thought it was yummy. They just laughed in response.

I know... I know... for some people this Korean tradition may be a bit harsh. But to Koreans, Poshintang is a part of their culture -- a custom they have inherited from their forefathers. And who am I to say no to free meal? Besides, I have tried live baby octopus, silk worms and fried grasshopper before. I am not really disgusted anymore.

Still...

This afternoon, I saw the neighbor in the corridor and confronted him slyly about the dog soup that he fed me with unwillingly. He was like: You like it? Yummy? Want some more?

I ran back to my room before he hands me another bowl. No more soup from the neighbors from this day onward.

By the way, picture on the right is the whiny labrador who lives across the apartment. He keeps me up at nights. Oh, the total torture of hearing him howl and growl in the middle of the night. He totally threw his nose up in the air when he saw me taking that picture. One of these days, I am going to make a Poshintang out of him.

I swear.

16 comments:

Abad said...

haha, lagot yung kapitbahay mong aso. Interesting, kumakain din pala sila ng aso. Never pa ako nakakatikim ng aso, wala din akong balak.

The Wandering Deity said...

abad! you should try one of these days. it tastes like pork. with just a bit of slippery tang in it. =D

link kita ha!

Abad said...

maraming salamat sa comments. bad trip nga pag nagkataong makasabay ko pa sa college mga kapatid ko.

wala akong lakas ng loob mamato ng palaka sa prof. mahal na mahal ka nga siguro ng mga propesor mo dati. keep on posting! nageenjoy din akong basahin 'tong blog mo.

Unknown said...

Ewwww gurl! Gross! You out of your mind? Hello! I will never share my coffee with you!

The Wandering Deity said...

shut up! i'll buy my own coffee! don't you dare take a sip!

want some poshintang? they're really yummy! ahahhahahha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

No thank you. Would you like some "rodent" dimsum?

Abad said...

wow taga San Pedro ka dati? Do you know the Anayas?

The Wandering Deity said...

Erik, send some over!

The Wandering Deity said...

Abad, which Anaya? Hahaha! Classmates ko nung elementary and highschool, some of them.

Raven said...

Hey Girl,

You've been tagged. Check out Stuperhero Extraordinaire to see..

http://stuperheroextraordinaire.blogspot.com/

atomicvelvetsigh said...

hahaha! and i thought we (pinoys) were the only ones who made a delicacy out of them.. when was the last time you had kalderetang aso? hehe.. btw i think rodent dimsum is nothing compared to eh the authentic chinese siopao - that used cat meat. eew that is something id never taste!

atomicvelvetsigh said...

ok not that i will taste rodent dimsum either! haha.. (pahabol lang)

Abad said...

Edgardo, Eddie nick name nya. Kakilala mo?

The Wandering Deity said...

Velvet, the dog soup I could probably survive, but the cat siopao: I'm not sure. Hey, should be fun to try sometimes. LOl!

Abad, the name doesn't ring a bell. Perhaps the older Anaya's? Hahaha! If he's from Landayan, San Pedro, Laguna, he might be related to the Anaya's I went to school with.

Abad said...

Mas matanda nga siya sa'yo. Kaedad ko na yung anak niya eh. Hiwalay yung second tag kaya ok lang na yun lang sagutan. :)

Anonymous said...

Dogs are aphrodisiacs. No wonder Korea has a booming population. Good stuff you got here.

Sonnet to Fathers