Saturday, November 17, 2007

On Narcissism

I often wonder whether the Elite class enjoys hour long of nightly conference chat online to concoct an elaborate scheme of making my life horrible, or it's simply their current "mission-vision" thing-y.

Just when I would start thinking that everything is going on smoothly, that the students are tired of making my life hell-ish, these future rulers of South Korea always come up with something that would eventually give me panic attacks.

Me: (On Myths of Flowers)... When he saw his reflection in the water, he fell in love with it. He could not leave and he spent the rest of his life by the spring admiring his own reflection. Narcissus's body eventually turned into a flower...

Smart Ass 1: Teacher, is that true?

Me: No class, this is mythology. I explained earlier before we started reading this story. Do you remember?

SA 3: Teacher, my mommy always look in the mirror. Why she no change into flower?

Me: This is just mythology. A myth. It doesn't apply to common people like your mom.

SA 3: Teacher, my mother not common people!

Me: Whatever! Are there any questions? A real question perhaps?

SA 4: Teacher, teacher, my mommy also always look in the mirror. Many hours looking in the mirror... why not change to flower?

SAs: (All talking in English and Korean at the same time) Yeah, my mommy too. Always make up and spend many hours in the mirror. No change!

Me: (Already jaded knowing that this nonsense tete-a-tete could go on forever if I don't say something nice.) Alright guys. Do you really want your moms to turn into flowers?

SAs: Yes teacher! Me want mommy turn to flower! Yay!

Me: Next time you see your moms looking in the mirror, please tie her to a chair and make sure she looks at herself all day long. Stand by and watch if she turns into a flower. Then you let me know.

(Totally amused with myself upon saying this. I'm smarting already. I know that).

SA 1: Teacher, mommy will get angry!

SA 2: Yes teacher! Who cook food?!!

Me: (Hyperventilating) Then you go dine out! Ha ha ha!

SA 5: (The cruelest of 'em all) Teacher, I do that. I tie mom to the chair. If mom gets angry, I say teacher said. OK?

Me: (Talking to her imaginary friend) Is there a life in the outer space? Are aliens true? I wish they abduct me now.

Patience is a virtue I have to master.

2 comments:

Abad said...

This made me smile. Ang mga bata, kahit saan makukulit.

The Wandering Deity said...

Abad, I'm just praying that one of these days, I won't be tempted to throw any of them out of the window.

Sonnet to Fathers