Sunday, January 27, 2008

It's All About Vanity, Baby


Last January 25, some mothers came to school to watch me teach. You know, like they just wanna make sure that I am teaching their children the right thing. They drop by in hordes, all perfectly made up, well coiffed hair, all glowing and glittery with the best jewels. It was more like they are going to a cocktail party and decided at the last minute to give the secretly unwell foreign teacher (me) a run over. I don't mind. They do this kind of visit once in a blue moon anyway. And I am not certainly scared of them, Ajummas.

After the class, the parents came up to me and complimented my eyebrows, my ten mega bucks boots and my 5 mega bucks skinny jeans, which they thought were designers. Yeah right! I bought them all in Namdaemun market but of course dare I tell them? I let them think that I am an Apgujeong frequent shopper. Harharhar!

Nobody was impressed that I made the students read a particular sentence five times, to make sure that they get the intonation right. No one noticed my dedication, my strong conviction for the students to understand the lesson and speak English like a native. NOPE.

They are more concerned about my looks, which was not very surprising because most Koreans are very superficial. You see, here in Korea, you may have the brain of a genius, but if you got a face only your mom could love, chances of getting hired is very very slim. Yes, you heard that right.

This is basically the reason why aside from sending their kids to hagwon (Korean term for special schools) to learn English, most parents invest and save up for their kids' "facial alteration" before they go to college. Fix the eyebrow, that crooked nose, that small chin, that oriental eyelid and voila! You are ready to face the world child!

Trust me, this country won't be called the New Plastic Surgery Capital of Asia for nothing. I have no issue with that. There's nothing wrong with their preference anyway. That's the way some Koreans are and I respect it by making sure that I look presentable to my students everyday.

I suspect that if Koreans are to rule the universe, everyone will be required to have a perfect face, a svelte figure and an IQ of 135, which is not so bad... I think. Everyone will be pretty and smart! Yay!

Now, I gotta stop blogging and get myself a mud pack. Me have to look ravishing for the kids and their moms!

11 comments:

Fantasy Writer Guy said...

Interesting behavior. But people all over the world are hiding themselves behind facades. Whether it's our physical features or our posturing, positioning or hiding our selfish desires - we're all wearing masks!

The Wandering Deity said...

We all wear a mask, I concur to that. We don't want to be vulnerable to the cruel world, do we?

Marissa said...

I know how those Ajummas feel...I myself am scheduled for a butt implant next Tuesday, as well as the addition of my third nipple. I've got to look my best at all costs!

The Wandering Deity said...

Third nipple? What you need that for? Will you post photos? LOL!

I'm going to get a boob job myself. LOl!

atomicvelvetsigh said...

well "beauty and brains" is not really uncommon nowadays.. but beauty, brains and humor is! and this my friend is what you have!

(btw one european told me that he noticed how asians are fond of ending sentences in verbs) lol.. i dont want! hehe im so lousy..

The Wandering Deity said...

Yeah, we tell the Koreans that: beauty, brains and humour, in that order please. Take it or leave it!

I didn't notice the thing about Asians ending a sentence with a verb. Am I guilty, too? LOL! Now I gotta go over my entries. LOL!

Anonymous said...

hey there diyosa ... alam mo hindi ko alam kung matatawa ba ako o mapapa-iling ... ang hirap naman ng trabaho mo (not with the kids but with the moms). umuwi ka ng pinas ngayon para naring korea sa dami ng mga koreans dito ngayon, in the streets, in the schools, in the clubs and on t.v.

The Wandering Deity said...

yes i know manang bambit. even the parents tell me that they have been in the Philippines to study English. but you know what here, they discriminate Filipino teachers because they prefer blond and blue eyed native speakers for a teacher. isn't that sad?

guess, the only reason why my boss is keeping me is because I am soo vain like them, Koreans. haha!

Anonymous said...

Koreans are a strange pack.

rheytarded said...

you look beautiful in the pic though... i guess you got the moms all insecure...

The Wandering Deity said...

thank you rhey. super photoshop ko yan. ahahhahah!!!

ewan ko lang kung nainsecure yung mga moms. kase by nature, feeling nila superior sila above everyone else. haha!

Sonnet to Fathers