Wednesday, December 12, 2007

You Pretty Flower Want?


My once upon a time beautiful peppermint plant is dying. What's left of it is a single stem currently hanging on to its dear life. I decided to drop by the flower shop to get some plant vitamins hoping that a tube of nutrients would revive the poor herb.

I told the shop manager, an Ajumma (old Korean lady) what I needed. She asked what particular plant I am going to use it for. She must have forgotten that I bought the peppermint herb from her two months ago. When I was done explaining to her in Korean what kind of herb I have, Ajumma told me that I should not expect the plant to survive the winter.

In a matter-of-fact tone, I informed her that I plan to revive my plant by hook or by crook. Ajumma simply shrugged her shoulders and told me sympathetically that what I need is a miracle, not vitamins.

Subsequently, she insisted I buy a winter plant instead. A poinsettia perhaps? I politely clued in that poinsettias will also die in a few months. If I am to buy a new one, I'll go for a dainty charming plant that would last a longer time. Something that I could take care for ages. Yeah, something like that. I am almost convinced that I could grow a garden out of a single pot of flower.

"Araso." (Understood.)

"Neoneun yepon kot seul wonheyo?" (You pretty flower want?)

"Neh, putakheyo." (Yes, please.)

I was excited to see what she'd get for me...

She took a plastic version of the poinsettia from the stand and delightedly presented the aesthetically crafted Christmas ornament. Sweet brassy permed Ajumma even added that she will give me a discount for a purchase of two.

Gawd!!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nagkakaproblema ako sa pagload ng page mo. Marunong ka na palang mag korean. Alam ko lang yung alphabet nila.

Ang labo ni manang tindera. Sa pangalan mo pala, Mary June?

The Wandering Deity said...

hello abad. you're back? huh???
my page loads pretty fast here. i think it's just your connection.
yung real name ko? hahahha! secret!!!

Anonymous said...

It's official, you are the only human being who can deal with Ajummas. I miss the Ajummas in DMZ.

The Wandering Deity said...

Yeah! You miss them beating your ass with their broomstick for loitering around the border. Harharharhar!!!

Unknown said...

Nobody messes with Ajummas. Not even Kim JongIl. Hey whats your plan this Christmas? Bf coming over?

The Wandering Deity said...

Nope. He's working. Will probably celebrate alone... as usual... What could be more fun that?

BURAOT said...

well at least it would last a long long time. like, "me love you long time". lols!

meri krismas!

attator said...

merry christmas, mama!

The Wandering Deity said...

Merry Christmas guys! You want to donate some plants?

GK said...

I've posted a pretty flower for you
love
G

The Wandering Deity said...

G! That was sooo sweet of you! Me wuvvvsss you!

Sonnet to Fathers