Friday, February 22, 2008

Why Did the Chicken Cross the Street


A blogging buddy in multiply is fond of posting Chicken blogs. To torment her, I would post a comment and ask that perennial question. She has yet to give me a sane answer, so I decided to amuse myself and quizzed the second graders.

The students replied in broken English and Korean, so for the sake of those who can't speak the language and for my own sake as well (as I don't get paid for any Korean translation) I am posting their answers in English, verbatim.

Me: Class, I have a question. The right answer will get 10 merit signatures. Are you ready?

Students: Ready!

Me: Why did the chicken cross the street?

Student 1: Because... because... her mother is on the other side?

Me: No!

Student 2: Because it wants to eat the other chicken?

Me: No!

Student 3: (Thinking long and hard) To poo?!!!

Me: Noooooooooooooo!!!

Student 3: (Tried again) To pee?!!!

Me: Nooooo!!! Chickens don't pee!

Student 3: (He's very persistent) Chicken pee! All animals pee!

Me: You're not allowed to answer anymore!

Student 4: Because it's cold?

Me: Noooooo!!! Come on guys, think! Think!

Student 5: Chicken will go home and eat! Chicken very hungry!!!

Me: Nooooo!!!

Student 6: Chicken scared?

Me: Why is the chicken scared?

Student 6: I don't know. You asked question.

Me: Gawd! Next answer!

Student 7: Chicken play with friends!

Me: Noooooo!!!

Students: Teacher what is right answer?

Me: I don't know. That's why I am asking the question. I was hoping you guys would help me.

Students: Why you ask question you answer don't know?

Me: (I am the Deity's complete lack of surprise) If we know the answer, do we have to ask?

Students: But you said right answer gets 10 points. Teacher liar!

Me: (Slowly entertaining the thought of pushing each one of them out of the window) Because I am the teacher! Because I say so. And I am not lying. I am really going to give 10 points! I promise!

Students: (Conferred among themselves) But teacher doesn't know the answer... How she give points?... Why is teacher like that?... She strange... Yes...teacher very strange...

Me: (Distressed) OK! Open your books on page 11. Let's read "Rainbows".

Student 2: Teacher, what is right answer? Why chicken cross street? Why?

Me: That's your homework!

Students: (Decided not to argue anymore and opened their books on page 11)

So much for self gratification... I should always remember that the rule of Karma applies even in classrooms.

Will someone please tell me the correct answer? I don't want to lose my job! Ngork.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was hilarious! Whatta smart kids!

Unknown said...

Mj, there are better ways to amuse yourself. The kids are brilliant though. How does it feel to be outsmarted?

Abad said...

Classic. "Assignment niyo yan" parang naririnig ko pa mga teachers ko dati.

Ate, you might wanna join this contest:.

http://aboutmyrecovery.com/2008/01/26/love-struck-writing-contest/

I'm sure you'll do great.

The Wandering Deity said...

Abad, thanks for the boost but I am not really in the mood. Sayang, had you told me about it earlier in the week, I could have joined. Next time na lang siguro.

Aral ka mabuti. Gawa mo homework mo:)

The Wandering Deity said...

Erik, I feel awful. I want to kill the kids.

Seraphim, thanks for dropping by.

atomicvelvetsigh said...

haa! thats easy.. because the egg came first!

lol lol..

kulit kulit ng mga bata...

btw, i have tagged you.. maybe you can pass by and take a look..

The Wandering Deity said...

velvet, iba naman yung question na nisagot mo eh. hahaha!

sige na nga, do ko yung tag. malakas ka sa akin eh:)

GK said...

its simple... to get laid. Now how else do you think those eggs and chicks came about?
Sigh.. i expected you to know...
Muhahahahahah
love me more
G

The Wandering Deity said...

You know, I'm also kinda entertaining that thought. But since my students won't be able to get the meaning of "laid" in a figurative context, I'd spare them the horror. Haha!

Me heart G more!!!

Anonymous said...

The chicken crossed the street to get to the other side. I suggest you give 100 points to the student who'd give you that answer.

Anonymous said...

To poo? To pee? Cute sagot mga bata... very innozent. LOlzzzz!!!

The Wandering Deity said...

Leenerd, I am pretty sure one the students will come up with that answer. but i can't give them 100 points. it's against the school policy.

Portia, that particular student always give those answers for any questions that i ask him. Ask him how he is, he'd say, Poo? that kid is a dork.

Sonnet to Fathers